Tuesday 8 November 2011

My Space!

As mentioned in my previous post about what I got up to during reading week I decided to look at the difference in appearance of a town and a city - Bridgnorth and Wolverhampton. Whilst doing artist research an idea popped into my head when looking at M C Escher's, pencil sketch of an eye. I had a thought of removing the pupil and inserting photos that I had taken during that week to show that that is the space I see on a daily basis. So, on Friday 4th November I went into uni and sat from 11 till 4 doing Photoshop edits and this is what I produced. 


 Escher Eye-dea(Idea)Experiment!
Firstly, I took an easy photo of my eyes, individually and as a pair
on the iPhoto capture application on the Mac.
The second stage I undertook was to remove my pupil by using
the Magic wand tool and then erasing the selected area. I then opened,
copied and pasted the image you inside of the eye as the background to this
idea. The image seen is of the exit to the Subway leading into the city centre,
the cycling lines show perspective as if its like following a path in life.
The third stage I carried out was that of copying the picture of
the University building I see when studying in the base room
MK314. This stage involved me using the technique of Layer
Masking. I was taught this technique during my last project - Who
Am I? I find to start it was quite hard to get to grasp with but this time
I felt more confident as I completed the steps all by myself unaided.
Layer masking is when you can reveal and hide different parts of a
picture on top of another.



The final stage was followed in the same steps as mentioned
previously above. This time I used an image I had taken on
the Monday 31st when I went around Bridgnorth and took
photographs of the picturesque scenery and surroundings that
I am fortunate to live in such a safe place. The church featured
within the pupil is known as St. Mary's Magdalene church. I was
christened here as young child, attended weddings and unfortunately
funerals. This was the final piece to the Escher Eye-dea experiment.
  


No comments:

Post a Comment